3 shacks razed in Candolim
The Tourism Department on Monday cracked the whip on shacks owners violating the Shack policy for 2012 and demolished three shacks and issued show cause notices to five, along the North Goa coast.
Senior officials in the Tourism Department disclosed that random checks will be carried out throughout the ‘shack allotted stretches’ and similar action would be taken against erring shack operators. In the first round, action has been initiated against violators in Candolim.
According to department officials, many of the shack operators have erected shacks whose structures are bigger and way beyond the prescribed parameters. In some cases, shacks are measure 30 metres by 10 metres, when the norms permit shacks of just 18 metres by 8 metres.
Herald was told that a warning had been issued to the defaulting operators who failed to adhere to the directions. “The erring operators have to ensure that the shack structures are as per the policy and time of seven days has been given to comply with the same,” said this senior official.
Simultaneously, the department has taken punitive action wherein the defaulting operators will forfeit their security deposit and will have to re-submit the security deposit afresh. The Tourism Department will carry out random checks at other coastal locations to verify if shack operators have complied with the shack policy guidelines for this season. [H]