30 shanties gutted in Taleigao fire
About 30 shanties were burnt after a major fire broke out in Shankarwadi at Taleigao on Monday morning. The exact reason for the fire is yet to be determined but the investigating officials are suspecting foul play.
Cylinder blast in one of the huts aggravated the fire engulfing other shanties built very close to each other.
“We have written to the police and electricity department to give their feedback. The huts are in an enclosed space,” Assistant Divisional Officer, District Fire Station, Panjim Rajendra Haldankar said.
“Different versions are given. It could be due to short circuit, cylinders, stoves, chulhas… but we are waiting for reports from the other two departments based on which we can give details,” he said further.
Five fire tenders including four from the headquarters at St Inez and one from Pilerne fire station were rushed at the spot after a call at about 11:44 am. It took nearly one hour to control the fire.
No human injuries were reported. The contractor has estimated a loss of about Rs 5 lakh in a report to the fire department though fire officials claim the loss would be anywhere between Rs 10-15 lakh.
Hundreds of migrant labourers, working in different construction sites stay in 60 out of 75 shanties built in the area. At the time of the incident, the occupants were out on their jobs. [H]