Serves : 4
1 raw mango
1 almost ripe mango
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 tablespoon jaggery
1 teaspoon salt
6 dry red chilies
3/4 cup freshly grated coconut
1 pinch aesafetida
1 teaspoon oil
- Peel and cut mangoes into small pieces and keep aside. (The traditional Goan saasav is also made with small sucking mangoes. You can use 5-6 of these peeled mangoes for the recipe instead.)
- In a mixer add 3/4 cups of grated coconut, dry red chilies and 4 tablespoons of jiggery and blend into a paste.
- Dry roast 1 tablespoon of the mustard seeds for around 3 minutes and crush into coarse powder. Make sure the powder is not too fine or the whole curry will turn bitter.
- In a pot heat oil and add asafetida and the remaining 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds. Let the seeds crackle.
- Add the cut mango, the ground coconut paste, crushed mustard seeds and salt.
- Cover and let the curry cook till the mangoes are soft and juicy.
- Serve hot.
[photo & Recipes courtesy- http://bongong.com]