Arpora house gutted

A house was gutted in a fire at Rauta Vaddo, Nagoa-Arpora, on Monday.

According to sources, the house belonging to Shashikant Kandokar was gutted in the fire and the estimated loss is likely to be over Rs 2 lakh.

Sources further informed that the fire broke out due to electrical short circuit and no one was in the house at the time of the incident.

On noticing the fire, neighbours called local Panch Sakharam Naik and tried to put off the fire.

Naik alerted the fire station for help.

Fire tenders from Pilerne and Mapusa rushed to the site and broke open the locked door and removed gas cylinders from the kitchen.

The fire fighting team managed to control the fire, but was unable to minimize the damage to the house. Cupboards, electronics items were destroyed.

Calangute MLA Michael Lobo and Nagoa-Arpora Sarpanch Sushma Nagvekar visited the site and took stock of the situation.

Lobo has assured assistance of Rs 25,000 as immediate relief under Chief Minister’s Fund besides personal contribution.

Fire services team head Dattaram Redkar also visited the site. [H]