Bhindi Masala – Spicy Okra
- 1/2 lb okra
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
Wash the okra and pat dry. Make sure to completely dry the okra as wet okra will be sticky when cutting. Cut off the both ends of the okra pieces and slice lengthwise in halves. Set aside.
Heat a heavy skillet on medium-high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is heated, add the cumin seeds and asafetida (hing). When the cumin seeds crack, add the okra. Stir for a minute and reduce the heat to medium. Cover the okra for two to three minutes. Remove the cover and add the coriander powder, red chilly powder and turmeric. Next add the gram flour (besan) and continue to stir-fry until the okra is tender. Add the salt, mango powder and bell peppers.
Adding colorful bell pepper is a great garnish for the okra and adds flavor to the dish. You can substitute the bell pepper with sliced tomatoes as a garnish.
You can also slice the okra in 1/4 inch pieces and follow the same method above.
Make sure to add the salt last to avoid the okra becoming lacey.