Burglars day out in Ponda

Ponda taluka has been hit by successive burglaries, after gold ornaments worth Rs 13 lakh were stolen from a house at Kapileshwari-Ponda, while another burglar was arrested on charges of breaking into a petrol pump at Tisk-Usgao and also trying to enter into two ATMs at Tisk-Usgao.

 Ponda police said  gold ornaments worth Rs 13 lakh were stolen from the house of Krishna Naik on the intervening night of Sunday and Monday. The incident came to light at about 6 am on Monday .
Police said the burglars entered the house by removing the rear window grill. The couple had gone to bed in the adjoining room, while other family members were on the first floor.
The keys of the cupboard, which contained the valuables, had been left in an unoccupied room. The burglars entered the room and decamped with the ornaments weighing about 556 grammes.
When Naik awoke on Monday morning, he found the room locked from the inside and the window grill missing from the room.
A police dog squad and fingerprint experts were pressed into service. Deputy Superintendent of Police Dinraj Govenkar and Police Inspector CL Patil also visited the site. Police said the house owner had recently come down from abroad.
Meanwhile, some workers employed to install roof tiles in the house have been detained for questioning.
In another case, Ponda police arrested Chandrasingh Rajput (22) from Ponda on charges of stealing a TV set and cash of Rs 1,200 from a petrol pump at Tisk-Usgao in the wee hours of Monday.
Rajput reportedly confessed to the crime after Ponda police arrested him following CCTV footage obtained from a nationalised bank, which showed him trying to break into an ATM.
Police further informed that Rajput before committing the theft at the petrol pump office had made an abortive bid to burgle two ATMs of different banks at Tisk-Usgao.
A year ago, after an attempted theft at one of the banks, the bank management had deployed a security guard to man the bank premises and the ATM. However on Sunday night, the security guard had reportedly gone home and the incident came to light only when he returned at about 6.30 am. The guard then alerted the manager who in turn informed the police. The accused was later nabbed within two hours of going through the CCTV footage. [H]