Cabbage – 4 cups finely chopped
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
Channa daal – 1 tbsp
Urad daal – 1 tbsp
Asofoetida (Hing) – 1 pinch
Turmeric (Haldi) – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Ginger – ½ tsp grated
Red chili [whole] – 1 or 2, to taste
Green chili – thinly sliced, to taste
Salt – to taste
Fresh shredded coconut – to taste
Cilantro – 5 sprigs chopped
1. Heat Oil on a medium flame in a non-stick pan (similar to a wok).
2. Add Mustard Seeds and cover for a few seconds to let them sputter.
3. Add Channa and Urad Daal – allow them to turn light golden brown.
4. Add Asofoetida, Turmeric, Red Chili, Curry Leaves, Ginger, and Green Chili(preferably in that order).
5. Add Cabbage and mix well.
6. Allow it to cook uncovered – stirring frequently.
7. Add Salt to taste and mix well.
8. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh grated coconut and cilantro.
9. Serves 4
1. To save time, use a food processor to shred the cabbage.
2. Cook cabbage uncovered and add salt only in the end or the cabbage will become soggy.
3. Try adding green peas or shredded carrots along with the cabbage for a change.