Calangute, Goa Police win


Calangute Sports Club managed to squeeze past Sao Minguel Taleigao 3-2 in the GFA First Division League match, played at Duler grounds, here on Wednesday.
With today’s win, Calangute stay on top of the league table with nine points, while Taleigao suffer their second loss and have three points from three league matches.
In the very 4th minute Richard Dias worked up the left front and sent a low cross to a well positioned Bazileo Rego who connected with a stiff grounder, beating the entire Calangute defence and the keeper.
Taleigao almost made it 2-0, but it was keeper Marshal Fernandes who came to his team’s rescue to block a fierce shot from Richard Dias from close quarters.
Calangute levelled terms through a fine build-up move which came from medio Xamaro Rodrigues who floated the ball to overlapping Stalin Baptista, in the 14th minute, who sent a cross to Franky Oliveiro, whose header crashed into the Taleigao’s nets, 1-1.
Taleigao once again took the lead in the 20th minute, with Richard Dias doing the spadework where a delightful cross from him found unmarked Pramod Mardolkar at the far end, who nodded the ball home, 2-1.
As the match progressed both the keepers produced some excellent saves. Taleigao keeper Risven Fernandes pulled off  two quick saves by fisting the ball from Ashley Lobo’s fierce shot and then parrying the ball for a corner to deny Nicholas Fernandes from scoring.
At the other end, Richard Dias who was instrumental in Taleigao’s two goals saw his scorching right footer, being blocked by keeper Marshal Fernandes.
Eight minutes into the second half Calangute netted their equaliser. A power-packed right footer from Xamaro Rodrigues from almost zero angle brushed Taleigao keeper’s hands to find the ball landing into the goal, 2-2.
Substitute Gautam Kankonkar lost a golden opportunity to put Taleigao ahead in the 63rd minute, who after dribbling past the entire Calangute defence failed to beat keeper Marshal in one to one situation.
Calangute’s large supporters were sent into raptures, ten minutes later, as substitute Royston Pereira crossed the ball from the left flank to Franky Oliveiro just outside the 6-yard box, who cut past the defender and finished with a stiff grounder, 3-2.
Taleigao were reduced to ten men as Bazileo Rego was red- carded for second booking by referee Nilesh Vaigankar.
Seven minutes before the hooter and Royston Pereira’s long ranger was pushed for a corner by Taleigao keeper.
At Poriat grounds, Goa Police Sports Club who were trailing by two goals got the better of YBT by 3-2 margin.
Goa Police have tasted their first win and stand on three points, while YBT have lost their third consecutive match.
In the 34th minute, medio Terrance Lobo sent a defence-splitting pass to Columban Noronha, whose cracker from outside the box had no answer from keeper Rupesh Kamat, 1-0.
On crossing over, in the 54th minute, Columban Noronha netted his brace, with an intelligent chip over the onrushing Goa Police keeper, 2-0
The never-say-die spirit saw Goa Police score two quick goals through Rajesh Salgaokar, in the 75th and 80th minute of play to make it 2-2.
Spurred by the equaliser, Goa Police netted the winning goal in the 84th minute as Amir Salgaonkar scored with a neat placement off Abdul Khan’s pass. [NT]