Chola (Chana Masala)
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas (kable chana, Garbanzo beans)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (Besan)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro (Green coriander)
- Thinly sliced tomatoes for garnish
Drain the water out of the can of chickpeas and wash the chickpeas well.
Blend the tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree.
In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil. Add the hing and cumin seeds. After the cumin seeds crack, add the gram flour and stir-fry for a minute. Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chilly powder and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat. The mixture will start leaving the oil and will reduce to about half in quantity.
Add the chickpeas and a half cup of water and let it cook for 7 to 8 minutes on medium heat, covered. Press the chickpeas with a spatula so they soften. Add the garam masala and cilantro and mix. Let it cook for another minute.
Garnish with thin tomato slices.