Cowshed destroyed in fire

Canacona: A cattle shed caught fire at Gaondogrem on Thursday evening causing a loss of over Rs 50,000 to the owner.

However, timely assistance from the locals and fire personnel saved a property worth over Rs 7 lakh from getting destroyed in the fire.

Sources at fire station office at Mastimoll in Canacona said that they received a fire call at 4 pm that a cattle shed has caught fire and the fire is threatening to spread to a nearby rice mill.

Then, a team of fire fire fighters lead by Station Fire Officer R V Pednekar with the help of leading fire fighter Costancio Colaco, driver operator Lekhah Daikar, driver Ashok Gaonkar, fire fighters Prashant Velip, Anil Talpankar, Ganesh Naik and Viraj Desai doused the fire.

Sources said that there were no cattle when the fire broke out in the shed.

“A total of three fire tenders were used to extinguish the fire in an operation that lasted for over 2 hours, locals also helped in dousing the fire which caused a total loss of about 50 thousand to the owner of the shed,” sources said.

“How the shed caught fire was not immediately known and timely action of informing the fire station office and the assistance from the locals saved the fire from spreading to a nearby rice mill,” sources added. [H]