Daal Soup (Split Beans Soup)
Mung Daal – 1 cup
Broth/Stock (Chicken or Vegetable) – 4 cups
Onion – 1, medium (chopped)
Tomato – 1, medium (chopped)
Green Beans – ¼ cup (chopped)
Cauliflower – ½ cup (chopped)
Frozen Carrots & Peas – ½ cup
Ginger – 1 tsp (minced)
Garlic – 1 tsp (minced)
Green Chili – to taste
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Lime juice – to taste
Cilantro – for garnishing (finely chopped)
Green Chili – for garnishing (finely chopped)
Fried Onions – for garnishing
1. Wash and drain the Mung Daal.
2. In a pressure cooker, add the following – Mung Daal, Broth (3 cups), Onions, carrots & peas, Ginger, Garlic, Tomatoes, Cauliflower, Green Beans, Green Chili and Salt.
3. Mix well and let it whistle 2 times. Turn the stove off and let the pressure release by itself.
4. Once the pressure has gone, open and mix well.
5. In needed, transfer the Daal to a bigger pot.
6. Add in the balance of the Stock.
7. Blend well using a handblender or a blender.
8. Add Lime/Lemon Juice to taste.
9. For the seasoning, take a pan, add in the Oil and heat.
10.Add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
11.Wash the Curry Leaves and place on the Daal.
12.Pour the seasoning over the Curry Leaves.
13.Mix well and allow it to come to another boil.
14. Pour into soup bowls and serve.
15. For this soup, garnishings are very important. So garnish with Lemon/Lime Juice, Cilantro, Green Chilis and/or Fried Onions.
1. Use a variety of vegetables to get a different flavor everytime.
2. If you do not have Stock avaiable, use water or bullions.
3. For a full meal, we also serve this with rice, chapati or garlic bread.