Demolition notices issued to owners of illegal structures at Monti Dongor
MARGAO: Owners of around 200 illegal structures at Monti Dongor area in Margao were served notices of demolition on Monday by the Administrator of the Communidades, south zone, Mr Pravin Barad in the presence of a strong police posse.
These structures stand on the Aquem communidade land at Monti Dongor and Tollsamzor areas.
The Administrator of the Communidades formed two teams to serve these notices. Though the situation at the two places remained a bit tense, the authorities continued with the exercise of serving the notices till evening.
Speaking to ‘The Navhind Times’ at the site, the Attorney of the Aquem Communidade, Mr Celestino Noronha said, These illegal structure owners have been given ten days time to demolish the structures, failing which the authorities would demolish the structures after February 22.” He further said that the exercise of serving the notices will continue on Tuesday.
The notices served on the residents state that a writ petition was filed before the High Court of Bombay at Goa against the illegal constructions on the communidade land at Monti Dongor and Tollsamzor areas and that it has been assured by the Goa government to the Court that all the illegal constructions will be demolished within a period of six months after conducting the necessary survey, which incidentally ended on February 8, 2013.
“After the survey, it was found that these structures were constructed without obtaining any approval or permission as required under the law. It was also revealed that illegal structures were built by encroaching upon the Aquem communidade land at Monti Dongor. It is, therefore, that the removal notices have been served,” the notice stated further adding that demolition of these structures was suggested under the provisions of the Goa Land (Prohibition on Construction) Act, 1995 and other enabled provisions of the law.
Mr Noronha said that demarcation of the area was done at the time of survey. He said that a local leader, Mr Camilo Barreto, who tried to intervene with the intention of stopping the exercise at the Tollsamzor area later disappeared after seeing the police.
It may be recalled that advocate Mr Sanjiv Punalekar had filed a writ petition pointing out the illegal structures at the Monti Dongor area. The petitioner prayed for a direction to the state government asking to conduct a survey of the existing structures in the area which have come up in violation of the law. The Chief Minister, Mr Manohar Parrikar had earlier said that these structures would be demolished only after the notices were served to them.[NT]