By PDUNCO payday loans
Inferno engulfs Cuncolim factory
- Published on Tuesday, 05 March 2013 12:23
A chemical factory manufacturing alkylphenol at the Cuncolim industrial estate on Monday was engulfed in a major fire, which caused loss of several lakhs of rupees. However, nobody was injured in the inferno.
Sources in the fire services in Margao said the fire broke out at 6.30 a.m. on Monday in distillery section of the chemical factory and spread to other parts of the building of the Rajeswari Specialty Chemical Pvt Ltd.
The fire services office received information at 6.55 a.m. and the fire officer Mr Gill Souza along with other firefighters rushed to Cuncolim to extinguish the raging fire.
It was informed that since there was acid and other combustible articles in the factory the fire spread very fast and it took around two hours for the firefighters to bring the inferno under control.
Mr Souza said that two fire tenders from Margao one from Canacona and one from Curchorem were pressed into service to put out the fire.
Raw materials, some goods, roofing and the finished product gutted in the fire.
The sources said they have made a list of what has been gutted in the fire and it has been roughly estimated that goods and raw material worth several lakhs of rupees have been lost in the inferno.
However, in the same breath, the fire department sources said the loss to the factory could run into crores of rupees.
So far it has not been ascertained the exact reason of the blaze, but the fire services office has written to the power department to conduct an inspection so as to establish the cause of the fire breakout.
A team of the Cuncolim police also visited the site and conducted panchanama. The police have registered a case in the fire incident and recorded statements of some people. Asked whether there was any foul play in the incident, the police said that case was under investigation and so far no cognizable offence has been registered.
The factory owner are in Mumbai and he has been informed about the blaze.
The local MLA, Mr Rajan Naik also rushed to the site to take stock of the situation. [NT]