Hari Chutney – Cilantro Chutney
- 1 big bunch of chopped Cilantro (green coriander)
- 3 green chopped chilies
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
Blend all ingredients, except the cilantro, into a paste. Add the cilantro, a little at a time, and blend. If needed, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water. The water will help in blending. Blend well and add more salt, green chilies, or lemon juice to taste.
You can make hari chutney in large quantities in advance and freeze it in ice cube trays. When ready to serve, defrost as many cubes of hari chutney as needed. If you freeze the hari chutney immediately after preparing, the chutney will not lose its bright green color and freshness.
- To make a delicious dip for fresh vegetables, chips, or crackers, mix 1 part chutney and 3 parts yogurt.
- To make a sandwich spread, mix 1 part chutney and 2 parts cream cheese.
- To make a salad dressing, mix 1 tablespoon chutney with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.