How To Make Cumin Flavored Rice (Jeera Chawal)
* 1 cup Basmati Rice * 2 cups Water * 1/2 cup Carrots, diced * 1/2 cup Frozen Green Peas * 2 teaspoon Oil * 2 teaspoon Clarified Butter * 1 inch Cinnamon * 4 Cloves * 1 Green Cardimon * 2 Bay Leaves * 1 teaspoon Black Cumin
- Step 1:
- Hi, welcome to ShowMeTheCurry.com. Today we're going to show you how to make simple and tasty cumin flavored rice.
- Step 2:
- We're going to start off by washing one cup of basmati rice under some running water. You want to wash this until the water runs clear. Next, we're going to take our washed rice and soak it in our two cups of water.
It's always a great idea to soak your rice for at least fifteen minutes before cooking it. It helps enhance the flavor, the texture, and reduces the cooking time. Now that the rice is soaking, lets get started!
- Step 3:
- It's really important to start off with a medium pot with a tight fitting lid. Start off by heating your pot on a medium flame. Add two teaspoons oil, and two teaspoons clarified butter. Let this heat before adding the remaining ingredients.
Once the oil is hot, add your cinnamon, whole cloves, green cardimon, and bay leaves, and let them sizzle for a few seconds. Then add your cumin seeds and give it a little stir, and I'll let them sizzle for a few seconds.
TIP: If you don't have black cumins, it is okay to use regular cumin seeds.
- Step 4:
- Okay, I think that's about done. You want them a little bit brown, but again, don't burn them, otherwise it will ruin the flavor of your rice. You can go ahead and add your carrots and green peas. You don't want to cook this too much; just kind of roll it around in the oil and let it get coated. And once that's done, we can go ahead and add our rice and water.
TOP TIP: The general rule for rice to water proportion is one rice to two waters. It works out best for most of the rice.
The general rule for rice to water proportion is one rice to two waters. It works out best for most of the rice. We can also add our salt in at this time. You know I can actually smell all the cumin. Yeah, that's the best part of this dish. Cumin has a really earthy and smoky flavor. It really enhances your dishes.
- Step 5:
- We're going to make this come to a boil. You can increase the heat on your stove and let it come to a boil. And once it comes to a boil, we're going to cover and keep it on simmer. Okay, our rice is just now starting to boil, so we're going to give it a quick stir and cover it, tightly.
Okay, our rice is just now starting to boil, so we're going to give it a quick stir and cover it, tightly. One very important tip is not to peek in while it's covered. You've just got to have faith and let it cook And also, reduce your flame to a simmer, now.
- Step 6:
- And set your timer for fifteen minutes. Our rice should be done. That looks really, really good. We're going to, again, give it a quick stir to mix all the veggies in with the rice. Shut off the stove. If somebody does not like carrots or peas, you can always use any other vegetables of your choice.That's right. Or no vegetables for that matter. This rice tastes great any which way.
- Step 7:
- Well, that's our cumin flavored rice. I don't know about you, but that smells great and I'm ready to eat this right now! Yes, and you can eat it with retta, olive pickle, or just by itself. It smells great! Well thanks again for joining us on ShowMeTheCurry.com. I hope you join us next time.
Adding a pinch of spice to your life!