How To Make Daal With Spinach (Daal Palak)
Toor Daal (Dried Split Pigeon Peas) – 1/2 cup
Spinach – 1/2 bunch, washed and chopped
Onion – 1/4 med, finely chopped
Tomato – 1/2 med, 1″ cubes
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Curry Leaves – few leaves
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asofoetida – pinch
Dry Red Chili – 1, optional
Garlic – 2, crushed
Kasturi/Kasoori Methi – 1 tbsp, optional
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Tamarind Paste – 1/4 tsp
- Wash and soak the Toor Daal for half hour.
- Drain the water from the Toor Daal and pressure-cook it with 2 cups fresh Water, Turmeric Powder and Tomatoes.
- Give it 2 whistles and take it off the flame.
- In a separate pan, heat Oil.
- Once Oil is hot, add the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Cumin Seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the following in this order and keep mixing – Dry Red Chili, Methi Leaves, Curry Leaves, Garlic and Onions.
- Mix well and cook till the Onions start to turn golden brown.
- Add in the Spinach and cook till it wilts.
- Add in the cooked Daal and mix well.
- Add Salt, Red Chili Powder and Tamarind Paste.
- Mix and allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 2