How To Make Roast Leg Of Lamb
* 1 Leg of lamb weighing 1 1/2 to 2 kg
* 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut into 4 slices lengthwise
* 2 to 3 sprigs of rosemary
* 6 Tbsp olive oil
* 2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 roasting tray and rack
* 1 knife
- Step 1:
Preheat the oven
- Set the temperature at 250ºC, that's 475ºF or gas mark 9.
- Step 2:
Season the lamb
- Rub the leg of lamb with the mustard and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3:
Add the herbs
- Make incisions in the lamb with a small knife and insert the garlic and rosemary.
- Step 4:
Drizzle with oil and place on a roasting rack
- Place the leg of lamb onto a roasting rack above the tray and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Step 5:
Roast the lamb
- Put the roasting tray in the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- After about 30 minutes, lower the temperature to 200ºC (460ºF, gas mark 6) and continue cooking for the remaining 30 minutes.
- Videojug tip – it is always best to cook meat when it is at room temperature.
- Step 6:
Leave the meat to rest
- After the cooking time, check that the lamb is ready.
- Insert a knife into the thickest part of the leg. The cooked meat should be of a pinkish colour.
- Remove it from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Step 7:
Carve and serve
- Carve the leg of lamb and serve with roast potatoes, a selection of vegetables, gravy and mint sauce.