How To Make Rogan Josh
* 600 g lamb , chopped into 2.5 inch pieces
* 3 Tbsp garlic and ginger paste
* 3 Tbsp oil
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp turmeric powder
* 3 tsp garam masala
* 2 tsp coriander powder
* 2 tsp ground cumin
* 2 Tbsp plain yoghurt
* 1 tsp chilli powder
* 2 medium onions , finely chopped
* ¾ tin of peeled plum tomatoes
* fresh coriander , to garnish
* 1 saucepan with lid
* 1 metal or wooden spoon to stir
- Step 1:
- Add oil into a saucepan and heat on a high heat until it is very hot. Now add in the finely chopped onions and stir fry until the pieces soften and become translucent.
- Step 2:
- Then add the garlic and ginger paste and keep stir-frying for 3 minutes to prevent burning and until the mixture turns light golden.
- Add all of the ground spices and keep stirring whilst continuing to fry on a high heat.
- Step 3:
Add the meat
- Then add the lamb and stir into the mixture; fry on a high heat for 5 minutes until the meat has fully browned.
- Step 4:
- Add in the tinned tomato and mash the tomatoes into the mixture with a spoon, taking care to ensure that the plum tomatoes do not remain in chunks and stir into the meat mixture.
- Step 5:
Stir in yoghurt
- Allow to cook uncovered for 5 minutes before adding the yoghurt. Stir this in and then cook on a high heat to bring this to the boil.
- Now cover the pan with a lid simmer on a very low heat for 30 minutes. After this, take the lid off and give the mixture a stir.
- Step 6:
Simmer and stir every 30 minutes
- Replace the lid back on the pan and let it simmer for another 30 minutes. Repeat this for around one and half hours – and you will notice that the consistency of the mixture is a bit thicker – the meat is very tender and the colour of the sauce is redder/browner.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh coriander