How To Make Tandoori Chicken
Chicken – 6 pieces ( approx 1lb), washed & skinned drumsticks
Yogurt – 1 1/2 cups, well beaten
Ginger Paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp
Paprika – 1/2 tsp
Tandoori Masala – 1 tbsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
Red Food Color – 2 drops, optional
Green Chili – to taste, ground
Lemon Juice – 1/2 cup
Tandoori Masala – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste, optional
Red Food Color – 2 drops
- Wash the skinned Chicken well and with a knife, make 1-inch slits in it.
- Put the chicken in a gallon size zip lock bag and add in the Lemon Juice.
- Give it a good mix and let it sit while getting the marinade ready.
- Pour all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Do a taste test for the marinade and adjust the salt and other spices as needed.
- Add the marinade to the chicken (in the zip lock bag) and give another good mix. Make sure all the pieces get well coated with the yogurt mixture.
- Store in the refrigerator to marinate overnight or minimum of 4 hours for best results.
- At the time of barbecuing, pre-heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Get the baste ready by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Once the Grill is ready, spray some cooking oil on the grill so that the chicken does not stick to the grill.
- With tongs, place the chicken on the grill and close the lid. Allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, coat it with the baste and allow it to cook for a few minutes. Flip again. Baste again. Repeat a couple of times until the chicken is fully cooked.
- The Chicken needs to cook for approximately 18-20 minutes total.
- Remove Chicken into a platter. Always let it sit for a few minutes before serving to allow the juices to settle in.
- Serve with Mint Chutney or Pickled Onions.
- Chicken thighs also work very well for this recipe in combination with or as an alternative to the chicken drumsticks.
- You can use boneless chicken for the same recipe as well.
- Tandoori Masala can be bought at any Indian grocery store of made at home.