How To Make Varan (Maharashtrian Daal)
ToorDaal – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Methi Seeds (Fenugreek) – 1/4 tsp
Green Chilies – 1 or 2 (to taste), slit length-wise
Onion – 1/2 medium, finely diced (optional)
Salt – ½ tsp (to taste)
Lemon Juice – ½ tsp (to taste)
Cilantro – 5 sprigs, chopped (for garnishing)
For Vagar (Seasoning):
Oil – 4 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) – ½ tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) – ¼ tsp
Hing (Asofoetida) – pinch
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Garlic – 5 large cloves, roughly smashed
Tomato – 1 medium, diced
- Wash Toor Daal with water until water runs clear.
- Add 3 cups of water to the Toor Daal and let it soak for about 15 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, add soaked Toor Daal with Water, Ginger, Methi Seeds, Green Chilies, and Onion.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- In a separate small pan, heat Oil.
- Add Jeera and allow it to sputter.
- Add Haldi, Hing, Curry Leaves and Garlic.
- When Garlic is slightly brown, add tomatoes, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix the garlic/tomato seasoning with pressure cooked daal.
- Add Salt and Lemon Juice to taste.
- Allow it to boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with Cilantro.
- Serves 4
- If you don’t have time to let the Toor Daal soak, just let the pressure cooker whistle 3-4 more times.
- If you like your daal with a thinner consistency, you can add more water at the end before you allow the daal to boil.
- Don’t overcook the Toor Daal. The texture of the daal should be seen.