Jetties’ upgradation report likely today

 

 West Bengal Fisheries Corporation, the consultancy firm which has prepared the report for upgradation of four main fishing jetties at Malim, Chapora, Cortalim and Cutbona, will forward the same to the Environment Ministry, Goa State Pollution Control Board and GCZMA to get the necessary clearances.
Fisheries Director Nandkishore Verlekar said that the technical staff from WBFC are expected to submit the report to these agencies for their approval, Friday. According to the consultant’s report, the work on the four jetties is estimated to cost Rs 75 crore, he said. 
“Once the clearances are sought, the report will be sent to the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, which will sanction 75 per cent of the funds, while the rest 25 per cent will be from the State Government,” he mentioned. 
Verlekar said the upgradation involves increasing the length and width of the jetties and building facilities meant for the fishing industry. 
“In case of Cutbona and Chapora, dredging activities have been suggested to increase the draught so that trawlers can navigate,” he added.
WBFC had been awarded the consultancy project for upgradation of the four jetties at a cost of Rs 2.35 crore by the State government. 
This excluded the project implementation cost that would follow after the acceptance of the report. 
The expansion of the jetties on Goa’s small coastline of 105 kilometres is expected to give a big fillip to the fishing industry. The State has an average annual fish yield of 95,000 tonnes, of which about 15,000 tonnes is exported to USA, Japan, China and other countries.   [H]