Bitter gourd, or popularly known as Karela in India, has escellent, digestional properties. It is a storehouse of home remedies for many common ailments.
4 medium gourds, debittered, boiled
1 onion finely slivered
2 tamarind pieces, fingersized, chopped fine.
1 tbsp. sugar
salt to taste
4-5 green chillies chopped
1 tsp. ginger finely chopped
1 tsp. garlic finely chopped
1/4th tsp. turmeric powder
3-4 pinches asafoetida powder
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tbsp. oil
Making time: 20 minutes
Makes: 3 servings
1. After debittering gourds, boiling till tender, but not mushy.
2. Slice thinly into finger length pieces.
3. Heat oil in heavy pan, add cumin, asafoetida, allow to splutter.
4. Add ginger, garlic, chillies, stirfry for a minutes.
5. Add onions, saute till transparent.
6. Add chopped gourds, turmeric, salt, tamarind, and sugar.
7. Stir and cook till almost dry.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander.
9. Serve hot with roti, khakras, or even a toast.