Kosambri (Shredded Carrot Salad)
Carrots – 3 cups (loosely packed), finely shredded
Lemon Juice – 3 Tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Asofoetida (Hing) – pinch
Chana Daal – 1 tsp
Urad Daal – 1 tsp
Green Chili – 1 or to taste, slit thin
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Cilantro – 5 sprigs, finely chopped
Fresh Shredded Coconut – 1 tsp, for garnishing (optional)
1. Wash, peel and finely shred carrots. Store bought Matchstick Carrots DO NOT work for this recipe.
2. In a medium bowl, add Carrots, Lemon Juice, Salt and Cilantro. Mix well.
3. Heat Oil in a small pan.
4. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
5. Add Asofoetida, Chana Daal and Urad Daal..
6. Once the daals turn golden brown, add Green Chilies and cook for 30 seconds.
7. Add Curry Leaves and remove from heat.
8. Add the above seasoning to the Carrots and mix well.
9. Garnish with Fresh Shredded Coconut and serve chilled.
10. Serves 4