Laxmi Prasad trounce Sao Miguel


 Laxmi Prasad Sports Club trounced Clube Sao Miguel de Taleigao 3-0 in a GFA First Division football league match at Poriat ground, Calangute, Thursday. Laxmi Prasad led 1-0 at half time.
Laxmi Prasad started off on an attacking note with captain Shervin Lobo providing his strikers a stream of accurate passes. They broke the deadlock in the 38th minute after Steven Fernandes’ perfect cross found Alvito Miranda, whose powerful header was blocked by Sao Miguel goalkeeper Xavier Estrocio and rebounded to Laxmi Prasad’s Tyson Fernandes for an easy tap in.
Stunned by the setback Sao Miguel tried to restore parity but their forwards could not convert in front of the rival goal.
In the second session, Laxmi Prasad continued their dominance and enjoyed the lion’s share of ball possession. They could have doubled their lead in the 80th minute but Steven’s rasping shot was parried away by the rival custodian.
Laxmi Prasad did not allow their rivals to get back into the game as defenders Waldran Martins, Marcus D’Costa, Stanley D’Silva and Sidharth Shirodkar did a fine job in their department. They went on to pump two more goals in the dying minutes. First, Alivto’s powerful shot was blocked by Xavier but the ball fell back to Laxmi Prasad’s unmarked Sanket Jodkar, who made no mistake and converted from shaking distance. Then, in the added time, Sherwin essayed in a clever pass to Steven, who dribbled past a couple of rival defenders and unleashed a curling shot from the top of the box that left Xavier stunned.
The game was poorly organized due to the lack of ball boys and stretcher.
Meanwhile at Duler Stadium, here, Curtorim Gymkhana registered a solitary goal win over Goa Police Sports Club.
After a barren first half, Curtorim broke the deadlock in the 76th minute through Alleluia Fernandes’ powerful that deflected off a rival defenders leg and beat Goa Police goalkeeper Rupesh Kamat.
Our Margao correspondent adds — Corps of Signals started their GFA First Division campaign on a triumphant note as they beat Young Boys of Tonca (YBT) 1-0 at 3MTR ground, Navelim, Thursday. There was no score at half time.
Corps of Signals could not convert their domination into goals in the first half. The home side created at least three good scoring opportunities but failed to utilize them due to inept shooting by their forwards.
The first effort happened in the 10th minute when striker VL Naghama’s header missed the mark narrowly off a Raj Singh floater. Later, Nghama’s rasping shot was blocked by YBT goalkeeper Parsappa Harijan.
At the other end, YBT were a subdued lot as they hardly troubled the rival defence. Rival goalkeeper Lalruat Fela had a field day as he was hardly tested by the rival attackers.
Corps of Signals could have taken the lead midway in the first half but Kuldeep’s try missed by few inches.
Corps of Signals continued to enjoy the lion’s share of exchanges and their forwards put tremendous pressure on the rival citadel but either they shot wide or shot straight into the safe hands of YBT goalkeeper.
YBT came close in surging ahead soon after resumption but Corps of Signals defender and captain Kunal Kumar came to his side’s rescue and thwarted rival striker Dhillon Fernandes with neat tackles.
This served a wake up notice to the hosts, who replied with quick counterattacks. The first attempt coming from Tim Tsheing in the 50th minute when he broke the shackles but his rasping volley missed the mark narrowly. Later, Kuldeep Rana’s left footed drive was blocked by YBT goalkeeper Parsappa. Substitute striker Mohammed Ibrahim’s feeble push went straight into the rival goalkeeper’s hands.
Earlier, YBT nearly found the success but Corps of Signals goalkeeper Lalruat Fela denied Terence Lobo a sure goal as he dived to stop the ball from entering the goal.
But in the 68th minute, substitute striker Mohammed Ibrahim broke the deadlock with an angular header off a well measured cross from Lalhiming Sanga from the right.
At Cansaulim Sports Complex, Calangute Association thumped Salcete Football Club 5-0 after leading 3-0 at half time. The highlight of the day was a splendid brace each from Nicholas Fernandes and Franky Oliveira.
Calangute Association held the upper hand in both sessions. Calangute Association took the lead in the 20th minute when Nicholas bulged the net. Spurred by the lead, Calangute Association attacked the rival citadel regularly and doubled the lead in the 24th minute when Franky Oliveira slotted past the rival goalkeeper with a snap shot.
Later, Calangute Association increased their lead in the 33rd minute when Ryan Pereira punished the rival goalkeeper with clinical finish.
At the other end, Salcete were a disjointed lot and failed to function as a cohesive unit.
The second half did not bring any respite to Salcate as they were attacked continuously. Nicholas struck in the 54th minute to complete his brace. In the 79th minute Franky drove the final nail into the rival coffin to register his brace. [H]