Mahalaxmi temple, was the first Hindu temple allowed to be constructed in Goa after 300 years by the Portuguese since they captured Goa in 1510. Located at the heart of the Panaji city, the Mahalaxmi temple is a sacred shrine for Hindu devotees. The Mahalaxmi Temple devoted to Goddess Mahalaxmi is situated on the Dr. Dada. Vaidya Road earlier known as Rua de Saudade in Panjim, the main city of Goa.
The Mahalaxmi temple was built in 1818 after the elapse of 300 years and inordinate delays by the Portuguese authorities. The original structure has undergone renovations many times, the latest being in 1983.
The deity of the temple originally came from the village of Taleigao and was moved to Bicholim in the 16th century to escape Portuguese destruction. For a short while during the approval process for building the temple the deity remained at the house of Mhamai Kamat, near the Idalcao’s palace. After permission from the liberal Portuguese governor Conde De Rio Pardo, which was granted on 2nd July 1818 the temple was built and the image was finally brought to Panaji. On 10 July 1818, the deity was consecrated there and the foundation stone of the Mahalaxmi temple was laid.
The temple was completed in 1819.
The original deity today lies in a small box in the rear wall of the temple which faces the present day main idol of Goddess Mahalaxmi. The main festivals celebrated are Navaratri and Chaitra Purnima. In February also a big fair is held during the Maruti Zatra festival that draws a large number of devotees.