Margao shop gutted in massive blaze

 A massive fire broke out in a shop that houses the office of Goldstar machinery and general company on the Isidora Baptista road, behind Grace Church, Margao late Saturday evening.

Officials from the fire and emergency services (F&ES) stated that prima facie it appeared that the fire was caused due to short circuit which engulfed two shops and caused heavy losses to the owner, P Kharpe.

F&ES officials stressed that the exact cause of the fire could not be ascertained and that equipment such as water pumps, motors and electrical devices were gutted in the blaze. They added that the incident took place at 8.50pm and that the owner had closed his shop just before the incident and was alerted about the fire when he was travelling home.

The shop is located in one of the busiest streets in the heart of Margao town. There was a huge traffic jam when the massive fire broke out in the evening rush hour. Besides, the area is full of residential and commercial buildings.

Margao police rushed to the site and immediately cordoned of the area. "The fire broke out around 8.45pm and two fire tenders were deployed at the scene and there were no casualties or injuries when the fire broke," said Margao PI Sudesh Naik.

"We are not in a position to estimate the exact amount of losses, as this is a hardware store and there is so much of electrical equipment in this store which led to such a big fire," added Naik.

"I went to the site and my daughter was with me and later my wife came and we are just very shocked at what has happened," said Karpe while speaking to a few mediapersons at the site.

Margao DySP Mohan Naik also rushed to the site and stated that the losses could be calculated on Sunday morning. [TOI]