Mother, son seriously hurt in Bicholim blaze


A mother and a son were seriously injured even as the latter's five-year-old daughter escaped unhurt in a fire incident which broke out in their house at Sakayali Falwadi, Kudnem, Bicholim due to short circuit in the small hours of Friday. 
The names of the injured persons are Rukmini Harmalkar and her son Prashant. The name of the five-year-old girl who escaped unhurt is Trisha, who is the daughter of Prashant and granddaughter of Rukmini. 
Both the injured have been admitted to government hospital Sankhali and are undergoing treatment due to grievous burn injuries. 
Due to the fire incident, all the electrical equipment in the residential house was gutted. Even equipment in the neighbouring houses was damaged due to the short circuit causing a total loss to the tune of lakhs of rupees. 
It is learnt that the occupants of the house were fast asleep when the incident took place. 
At about 3.30am Rukmini woke up after hearing a loud noise. She also saw smoke coming out from the electrical wires and other equipment which were gutted in the fire. 
Later, she woke up her son Prashant and narrated to him about the incident. 
On realising that her five-year-old granddaughter Trisha was asleep in her room, Rukmini along with hers son Prashant rushed to bring the girl to safety. In the process, the fire spread to the wall paper decorations on the roof and a huge portion of the thick paper decorations fell on them. 
Though Rukmini managed to save her granddaughter, she along with her son Prashant were seriously injured. 
Electrical equipment like a TV, refrigerator, mixer, iron, tube lights, fans owned by Mohan Falkar, Narayan Khandekar, Arjun Falkar, Hari Falkar, Ramnath Sakhalkar, Shashikant Falkar, Gurudas Falkar, Shivdas Falkar and others living in Sakaili Falwadi area were gutted in the fire. 
Sankhali MLA Pramod Sawant met the injured in the hospital and instructed the hospital staff to pay special attention to the injured people. 
He also instructed officials from the electricity department to look into the matter.  [TOI]