Nerul SC get the better of St Savio SC

Goa Velha: Nerul Sports Club scored an easy 3-1 win over St. Savio Sports Club, Calangute to move into the quarter-finals of the 14th London Trophy inter village football tournament, organised by Goa Velha Sports Club, at Goa Velha Sports Club ground.

In a fast paced encounter, St. Savio Sports Club missed a glorious opportunity to surge ahead but Vischal Vaingankar’s feeble attempt from close off a Jovito Fernandes’ cross was easily collected by the Nerul keeper Dyaneshwar Madgaonkar.

At the other end, Nerul’s Sidharth Shirodkar saw his thunderous strike hit the crossbar and rebounded into play.

Jovito Fernandes attempt took a wicked deflection but was well dealt with by the Nerul keeper.

Nerul Sports Club surged ahead through Manish Govekar who tapped home off an accurate cross from Deepraj Sangelkar in the 10th minute.

St. Savio’s goalkeeper Selwyn D’Souza brought out a superb save off a Siddharth Shirodkar attempt from close range in the 14th minute.

St. Savio’s Jovito Fernandes saw his attempt from the top of the box sail over the Nerul goal in the 19th minute.

Desperately trying to equalise St. Savio’s Ashley Lobo saw his attempt from the top of the box sail over the Nerul goal in the 24th minute.

Vischal Vaingankar’s header from close off a Charles Cardozo cross missed the target by a whisker in the 26th minute.

Deepraj Sangelkar made it 2-0 in favour of Nerul Sports Club as his shot off a long ball from Akash Banavlikar beat Selwyn in the St. Savio goal in the 27th minute.

Akash Banavlikar saw his free-kick from close to the half line punch over the bar for a corner by Selwyn in the Calangute goal in the 34th minute. Nerul Sports Club led 2-0 at the break.

Siddarth Shirodkar made it 3-0 in favour of Nerul Sports Club as his thunderous strike had no answer from the Calangute keeper in the 45th minute.

Namresh Kundikar reduced the margin for St. Savio SC when he shot into the Nerul nets in the 50th minute.

St. Savio’s Carl D’Souza saw his attempt kept out by a diving Nerul keeper in the 66th minute.

Thomas D’Souza was cautioned by the match referee Pandurang Korgaonkar. [H]