Sandwich Bread – 8 slices
Vegetarian Baked Beans – 1 (16oz can)
Cheese – 8 slices, preferably American
Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
Green Chili – to taste, finely chopped
Onion – 1/2 medium, finely chopped
Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Cilantro – 2-3 sprigs, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Salsa or hot sauce – 8 tsp or to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the Bread slices flat on a baking/cookie sheet.
3. Bake/toast them in the oven till they are light golden.
4. Flip them around and let them toast on the other side. The Bread should be very crisp.
5. In a bowl, mix in the following well: Onions, Tomatoes, Green Chili, Cilantro, Lemon Juice and Salt.
6. Place a slice of Cheese on each of the toasts.
7. Spoon and spread the Baked Beans (approximately 2 tbsp) over each slice of Cheese.
8. Pour the desired amount of Salsa/Hot Sauce over Baked Beans.
9. Spread the Onion, Tomato, Green Chili mixture over the salsa.
10. Place the cookie sheet back in the oven bake for another 5 minutes – or till the cheese starts to melt.
11. Remove from Oven and serve immediately.
12. Serves 4.
1. Health Tip – To save on calories, use 1/2 slice of cheese instead of the whole slice. Just break the cheese into small pieces and spread it out on the toast.
2. Tastes best when served hot and crisp, otherwise it will get soggy.
3. For a kid’s version, just omit the green chilies and salsa.
4. For non-vegetarians, you could substitute regular baked beans.