Penha de Franca thump St Anthony’s

Flavio Lopes
KEEPING TAB: The Penha de Franca players keep a 
close watch on a St Anthony SC Marna, Siolim player in 
a quarter-final match of 7th Reira Trophy football at 
Saligao ground, Wednesday.Mechanical Laboratories 

Penha de Franca thumped a nine-man St Anthony’s Sports Club, Marna, Siolim 2-0 to move into the semi-finals of 7th Reira Trophy football organized by Saligao Sporting Club at Saligao ground, Wednesday. The score was 1-0 at half time.
St Anthony’s started off on an attacking note and could have surged ahead in the 20th minute but Anthony D’Souza’s powerful volley hit the crossbar.
Subsequently, Anthony sent in a defence-splitting pass to Aldrige Fernandes inside the box but Penha de Franca goalkeeper Naved Almeida made a timely collection to deny Aldrige a clear chance at the goal.
At the other end, Penha de Franca were slowly building up their rhythm after a slow start and broke the deadlock off a set-piece in the 29th minute. Seby Rodrigues’ perfect free-kick was headed in by Parsuram Kaddinawar.
In the second session, St Anthony’s tried their best to score the equalizer. Their efforts almost materialized but Reuben D’Souza’s powerful half-volley was blocked by Naved in the 34th minute.
Six minutes later, St Anthony’s were reduced to 10 men after Anthony was given a direct red card by referee Rohidas Bhomkar for pulling the jersey of Penha de Franca’s Raju Padashi outside the box, who had a clear chance at the goal with only the rival goalkeeper at his mercy. 
Penha de Franca took advantage of the numerical advantage and doubled their lead in the 45th minute. Seby’s in-swinging corner-kick created problems for Naved, who fumbled in his collection and the ball fell to Penha de Franca’s Frazer Picardo for an easy tap in.
Penha de Franca defenders Clive Fernandes, Devendra Kautankar, Mawerick Almeida and Frazer did a fine job to leave the rival strikers frustrated.
St Anthony’s lost their cool in the 55th minute after they were further reduced to nine men. St Anthony’s Domnic D’Souza was cautioned by the referee for his dangerous tackle on Penha de Franca’s Ashvek Malgaonker. The referee then directly flashed the red card to Siolim goalkeeper Schubert D’Souza for using abusive language.
After the match, the St Anthony’s supporters and players tried to confront referee Rohidas Bhomkar but the organizers’ timely intervention averted the danger.  [H]