3/4 gallon milk
1 juice of small lemon
7 cup water
2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon corn flour
1/2 tablespoon maida/ all purpose flour
1 pinch baking powder
3/4 teaspoon rose essence
1. Bring 3/4 gallon of milk to a boil. Once it comes to a boil add in the lemon juice. The milk will begin to curdle.
2. Once all the whey separates, drain on a cheese cloth. Tie the cheese cloth and place under running water for a minute to cool it down and remove any sourness of the lemon. Then hang the cheese cloth for about 45 minutes.
3. After 45 minutes, remove the paneer and place of a flat working surface. Add maida, corn flour and baking powder and begin massaging the paneer with the heel of your hand until smooth. Make a long roll and cut into 15 equal parts.
4. Roll into small balls until the surface is smooth.
5. In the mean time, boil 4 cups of water with sugar with the rose essence. Add the balls into boiling water.
6. Intermittently add the remaining 3 cups of water, little at a time, while making sure the rasgullas are boiling to prevent the sugar syrup from reducing. Remove any scum that arises from the sugar boiling. The rasgullas will triple in size. Let them completely cool in the syrup for around 1.5 hours. Then refrigerate for about 30 minutes and serve chilled.