School children saved from fire in Bicholim

About 20 children of a playschool at Deendayal Bhavan in Bicholim had a lucky escape when the hall caught fire due to a short circuit on Thursday morning.

According to reports, the Deendayal hall, which is situated in the heart of the city, is utilised as a playschool and about 20 children were in the hall when teachers noticed smoke in one part of the hall at about 11.30 am.

The teachers immediately shifted the children to the nearby Hirabai Zantye Hall Bicholim. Locals also assisted in the speedy evacuation of the children and a fire brigade was pressed into service to extinguish the fire.

According to fire personnel, the fire damaged property worth about Rs 1 lakh. [H]