Signals beat Goa Police 2-1


It was a match worth watching as two physically fit teams Corps of Signals and Goa Police battled it out well in the GFA first division football league match played at Navelim military grounds on Wedneday in which Signals carried the day 2-1 to collect full points. At half time, the teams shared a goal each.
Nim Singh (6th minute) and B L Naka (67th minute) were the scorers for Corps of Signals. Rupesh Morjee reduced the margin for Goa Police in the 23rd minute.
Both the teams began well, going in for the attack right from the beginning. The teams preferred to keep the ball low for most of the time, resorting to some quick wall passing and then at times they also relied on the long ball, chasing it well and then also leaping high to send in some powerful headers where the goalkeepers of both the teams had some busy time in guarding their goal.
While Goa Police were strong in the defence, the Corps of Signals team had their superiority in the midfield which worked very hard to spray precision passes to their strikers upfront.
As such Signals had an edge over the rivals in ball possession and had it not been for some smart goalkeeping by the Goa Police keeper Rupesh Kamat, the military men would have surely carried the day with a bigger margin.
Goa Police too had their moments of supremacy as the teams’ defence seemed to be their forte today which would not budge an inch to give much space for the physically strong Signals men to maneavour well inside their territory.
However, it was the Signals team that took the lead in the very 6th minute of play taking the Goa Police defence by surprise.
A fine cross from the right by Lal Sangha saw the fast moving forward Nim Singh chesting the ball well, controlled it equally smartly and then after taking two rival defenders in his stride shot past the otherwise confident looking Goa Police keeper Rupesh Kamat.
Goa Police thereafter launched a series of attacks and their hard efforts paid rich dividends and in the 33rd minute of play restored parity after Rupesh Morjee beat the Signals goalie M L Phila.
The second session was played almost on equal footing but in the end if was the Signals team that prevailed when they scored the match winner through B L Naka off a pass from Puyya. [NT]