Small fire guts Candolim bar

A fire in Candolim on Wednesday afternoon destroyed the property of an about-to-open bar and restaurant on the busy Candolim-Calangute road. No one was hurt.

The fire started at around 12.30 pm in the back portion of the Julia general store at Escrivaowado, opposite Lawande supermarket, and was first noticed by the landlady. Sources said that the owners were about to start a bar and restaurant. The fire allegedly started due to an electric short-circuit.

The Pilerne fire brigade received a call at 1.02pm following which they rushed to the spot. The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes. Fire officer Namdeo Dhargalkar told TOI that the fire caused damage of around 1.5 lakh, while they managed to save items worth 3 lakh. The owner, Carmine Pereira, told TOI she estimates the damage at around 3 lakh.

Candolim panchayat member Lourenco Fernandes was one of the first to rush to the spot along with other neighbours to try and put off the fire. The damaged items included two cupboards with liquor bottles, some tyres, speakers, table-cloths, bed-sheets and some furniture and roofing sheets. Fire brigade officials said that the fire spread quickly because of some plastic bottles with petrol which were also stored there.

Fire tenders from Mapusa and Panjim also rushed to the spot, but the Pilerne fire tender had brought the fire under control by the time they arrived. Further investigations are in progress. [TOI]