Spicy Jamaican Jerk Chicken
A Caribbean Experience!
(A must try for spice lovers)
6 chicken thighs
4 limes, juiced
1 cup water
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cups chopped green onions 6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 habanero (Scotch Bonnet) peppers, chopped
Note: The Scotch Bonnet ( Habanero) peppers mentioned in the recipe are extremely hot and spicy.
1. Place chicken in a medium bowl. Cover with lime juice and water. Set aside.
2. In a blender or food processor, place all-spice, nutmeg, salt, brown sugar, thyme, ginger, black pepper and vegetable oil.
Blend well, then mix in onions, green onions, garlic and habanero peppers until almost smooth.
3. Pour most of the blended marinade mixture into bowl with chicken, reserving a small amount to use as a basting sauce while cooking. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
4. Preheat art outdoor grill for medium heat.
5. Brush grill grate with oil.
6. Cook chicken slowly on the preheated grill. Turn frequently, basting often with remaining marinade mixture. Cook to desired doneness.
7. Serve with steamed rice and lemon wedges.