UCT down Raia


United Club of Telaulim (UCT) prevailed over Raia Sporting Club 3-2 via the tie-breaker to emerge South Goa Champions in GFA Second Division play-off final at SAG ground, Assolna, Saturday. There was no score at full time.
UCT started on an attacking note but failed to take the advantage of their domination. They could have forged ahead but striker Daulat Dessai blasted wide from close range off a Paxton Gomes pass.
At the other end, Raia took time to settle down and once they struck rhythm they called the shots against the rival citadel.
UCT nearly broke the deadlock midway in the first half but striker Daulat ballooned over from hand shaking distance after Remedio Colaco laid him on the platter.
Post resumption, Raia almost took the lead but defender Simon Fernandes fired wide with only UCT goalkeeper Sachin Ashtekar at his mercy. 
With time ticking out, UCT went all-out and nearly found the success when striker Daulat beat his marker and nicely hooked the ball into the net but the goal was disallowed by referee Jose Fernandes at the instance of assistant referee Socorro Fernandes who pulled him for offside.
In the tie-breaker, Milagres Fernandes, Paxton Gomes and Melvin Figueiredo scored for UCT while Danny Dias and Simon Fernandes converted for Raia.
Both UCT and Raia have qualified for the state play-off. Meanwhile Benfica Sports Club and CAC, Cansualim have withdrawn from the competition.
Our Mapusa Correspondent adds — Nagoa Sports Club hammered Vaddy Sports Club, Merces 3-1 to qualify for the State semi-finals (play-off) in a GFA Second Division play-off football match (North Zone) at St Cruz ground, Saturday. Nagoa led 3-0 at half time.
Nagoa dominated and broke the deadlock in the 28th minute through Shekar Deepi, who slotted past Vaddy goalkeeper Patrick Gomes off a dangerous low-cross from Blake Haldankar.
Then, seven minutes later, Nagoa striker Mansoor Khan leaped over the rival defenders to head in an accurate cross from Blake.
Just before the lemon break, Mansoor found unmarked Shaikh Ali who easily tapped in from hand-shaking distance.
Changing over, Nagoa continued their dominance but Mansoor was unlucky as his efforts hit the crossbar twice.
In the dying minutes, Vaddy pulled one back through Sachin’s powerful header that beat Nagoa goalkeeper Razak Deusor. [H]