Underground cabling at Calangute gets under way
The electricity department on Friday commenced work on the underground cabling in Calangute. The tender worth 6.5 crore has been given to Pune-based Royal Turnkey contractors, and work is expected to be complete within four months, though the deadline is one year, K J George, executive engineer, told mediapersons on Friday.
Calangute MLA unveiled the foundation stone at a brief ceremony at the Calangute association grounds in the presence of Calangute and Arpora panchayat members and senior officials of the electricity department. Power minister Milind Naik who was slated to unveil the foundation stone, could not make it to the function because of other pressing work, Calangute MLA Michael Lobo said.
"Underground cabling was carried eight years ago in part of Calangute and Candolim, but after that the work had been stopped. Now we want to complete the whole network of 33 km, with two branches in Calangute and Arpora. What is above ground will now go underground. The load in this area has increased tremendously because of the large number of resorts and hotels," Lobo said, adding that the 11 KV feeder line is very important. All old electricity poles are also going to be replaced, particularly along the beachside.
He also said that the main electricity department office would be shifted from Candolim to a new premise at the proposed new market complex at Bodkovhod once it is complete. "There are many other projects pending which we will inaugurate in the next six months," he said.
Calangute sarpanch Anna-Marie D'Souza and others thanked the MLA for launching a number of infrastructure works in Calangute. [TOI]