Varca p’yat inspects multi-dwelling units

MARGAO: The Varca Panchayat on Friday inspected the multi-dwelling units in the village after the expiry of the deadline served on the builders to put in place composting units.
During inspection, it was found that nearly 80 per cent of the buildings have complied with the panchayat directives. Sarpanch Luiza Pereira said that while 80 per cent of the housing complexes have complied with the directives, work of constructing the composting units in the remaining 20 per cent of the buildings is underway.
She, however, said the panchayat has served show cause notices on the builders to comply with the directives within 15 days or face disconnection of water and power supply to the buildings. Environmentalist Clinton Vaz, who accompanied the inspection team said that the composting units will help tackle wet garbage generated in the housing complexes, adding that the dry waste is being disposed of by the panchyat twice a month.
Meanwhile, Sarpanch Luiza said that picnickers coming to the village will have to carry back with them their own waste.
 and keep the beach clean from litter. [H]