- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (with skin)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 4 red papers whole
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Small piece of cinnamon stick about 1/2 inch
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Oil is the right temperature when a cumin cracks immediately after being put in the pan. When oil is hot add cumin seed and mustard seed. After seeds crack add red pepper and bay leaves. Add rice and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Now add water, zucchini, salt and lemon juice and lightly stir everything together. After rice comes to a boil turn the heat down to low and cover the pan. Cook rice for about fifteen minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated.
Serve as is, with soup, yogurt, and pickle.
Melt some cheddar cheese over rice.
- Replace zucchini with 1 1/2 cup finally chopped spinach.